I’m very excited that my computer armoire is finished. Yay! This makeover was a very big part of my craft room October Overhaul.
I started with a very ordinary plywood wardrobe that I’ve had for years. I actually was trying to sell it on Kijiji during the summer, but had no takers. It turned out to be a good thing because I decided to reuse it in my new craft room as a computer armoire.
The first thing I did was turn the wardrobe upside down. I needed the flat top for the bottom. You’ll see why later. Then I painted the outside with a Restore Ooops Dulux white latex paint. I didn’t paint the insets because I had other plans for them.
I painted the inside with the same pink (Beauti-tone Moulin Rouge) that I’ve been using on other items in the room. I painted the insides of the doors the white and, again, didn’t paint the insets because I had plans for them also.
Also, I removed the centre piece of pine by cutting through it with a saw and just pulling it out. I used odds and ends pieces of lumber, cut to size, for my shelves, adding new braces with screws where needed.
I spray painted the insets of the outside of the doors with Rustoleum chalkboard paint, taping all around them first and protecting them with newspaper.
Here’s my old fabric covered bulletin board that was in my craft room before. It measures 4′ x 3′, plenty to use for the insets.
I laid a panel on my fabric and simply cut around it, leaving about 1 1/2″ to fold over and staple.
I stapled my fabric to the cork board starting with the top centre, then the bottom centre, and then the centres of the sides, pulling slightly so my fabric was taut, but not too tight. Then I just made my way around all four sides, pulling gently as I went and stapling.
At each corner, I cut away any excess fabric and folded it over as neatly as I could and stapled it into place.
I used contact cement to attach the panels, placing some heavy items on top until the glue set.
Because this small room is 9 1/2′ tall, I really wanted to use its height. With the help of my hubby John, the computer armoire was placed on top of the bookcases. This is why I needed to turn the wardrobe upside down, so I could use the flat surface for the bottom. The bottom actually doesn’t look too bad as the top. Before putting the unit in place I drilled a hole into the back for all the computer cords.
Then, because the height inside the the armoire was too high for my keyboard I needed to add something to the top of the bookcases so I could move my keyboard and mouse down when using them.
I had an MDF sign that was the perfect size (can’t show it to you because it may be copyright infringement). I’m all about using what I have and it already had a black edge. I turned it upside down and just nailed it to the top of the bookcases. The hammer hit the sides of the armoire, so I had a few touch ups to do after these pics were taken.
I had some non-slip viny shelf liner that I bought at the dollar store for $2. It was the perfect width, so I just added that on top.
Here’s my finished computer armoire with my fabric-covered bulletin board insets. It holds all my bills, office supplies, and some craft items that I don’t use very often. It’s nice that I can close the doors and hide this stuff away, so I don’t have to see it all the time.
Here it is with the doors closed with my chalkboard painted insets. I plan to leave the gap because it allows me to keep my keyboard and mouse out if I want to. I can still close the doors to keep the cats out. I did some decoupage on the side of the armoire that I’ll be showing in a future post.