When it comes to projects there’s almost nothing I love better than repurposing something… giving it a new life as something completely different.
I think it’s really important to have a little fun and whimsy in your home’s decor…. things that make you smile, and maybe even chuckle a little, every single day.
When I saw this box of 34 vintage teacups and saucers at my local thrift store for $2… (yes I kid you not) how could I possibly resist?
Like any self respecting junker I had faith that I would someday think of something to do with them
Well… time passes fast, and several months later that box of teacups was still sitting in my greenhouse/studio.
Finally… when I was spending some time in there checking out my stashes it came to me… and I got so excited that I had to start right away
They have England engraved on their bottoms, and at first glance these teacups look rather unremarkable. (I was tempted to make a wreath out of them). But as we all know, first impressions can be deceiving… because…
Aren’t the colours fabulous? And so unexpected!
Sometime in the future I’ll have to think about what to do with the 34 saucers.
But for now … it’s all about the teacups.
Also in my greenhouse I had this set of thrifted ivory coloured planters. They look delicate, but they’re made out of heavy duty metal and are very strong. They passed Miss Pixie’s inspection.
Here’s what the larger one looked like this past summer.
I tried the larger one on the lamp for size and it fit beautifully.
I cut myself twenty pieces of jute twine about 20″ long…
…borrowed the guest room lamp base because I needed something to hang the lampshade on while I worked… and I started tying.
The next day I hunted through my stash for a roll of thrifted lace, and wove it through the heavy wire slats.
Over and under,
Over and under.
I alternated how I did each section because I thought 8 bows at the top would be a little too much.
The lace is just to lessen the glare of the light bulb a little.
It was still missing something so once again I dove into my stashes, and I came up with this silver toned tea pot.
I drilled a hole through the bottom, starting with a small metal bit and working my way up to slightly larger bits until my hole was just the right size.
The lamp finial is screwed on inside the teapot.
Here are some pics of the brass lamp from when I thrifted it last summer.
But I loved the brass lamp base…
with all its colours.
But I wasn’t sure if I was going to keep it.
Here it is with its ‘Wonderland’ lampshade… complete with teacup fringe.
Please share on your favourite Pinterest board!
I still had 14 teacups leftover and I used some of them to make this vintage teacup pumpkin.
Check them out, and spread some whimsy somewhere today… and smile!
Thanks so much for reading, and until next time…
keep on keepin’ on!