Repurpose a wardrobe into a computer armoire
When it comes to finding just the right piece of furniture we might just have what we need right in our own homes, and this DIY computer armoire project was like that.
I needed storage in my craft room for my computer and other supplies. I had been looking for quite a while at the Restore, garages sales, and online too.
But I just couldn’t find the right size piece.
Then one day I wasn’t even looking when I realized I had the perfect piece right in front of me all along.
I’ve had this very light thin plywood wardrobe for quite a few years. It measures about 65″ tall, 35″ wide, and about 21″ deep.
I found this wardrobe at an auction for $25 eons ago, and I had been using it in my bedroom. It was waiting for a makeover, but because I was never really happy with its small size I never got around to redoing it.
Now it’s going to get a makeover, and be repurposed at the same time… into the perfect computer armoire.
Painting the outside of the computer armoire
The first thing I did was turn the wardrobe upside down. I needed the flat top for the bottom.
You’ll see why later.
Also, I just love turning things on their heads. lol.
One surprise outcome, that I didn’t even think of until I literally turned it over, was the bottom now gave my soon-to-be computer armoire a nice decorative top.
The outside of the piece got two coats of a Restore Ooops Dulux white paint. There was no need to paint the door insets because I had other plans for them.
Painting the inside of the computer armoire
The inside got two coats of the same pink (Beauti-tone Moulin Rouge) that I’ve been using on other items in my craft studio like my craft room desk makeover. I painted the insides of the doors with the white and, again, didn’t paint the insets because I had plans for them also.
I removed the centre piece of pine that ran down the middle of the wardrobe by cutting through it with a saw and just pulling it out.
Then I used odds and ends pieces of lumber, cut to size, for my shelves, adding new braces with screws where needed.
Spray painting the doors with chalkboard paint
I spray painted the insets of the outside of the doors with Rustoleum chalkboard paint, taping all around them first and protecting them with newspaper.
Once the chalkboard outside doors were dry I brought them back into the room to complete the inside of the doors.
I reused a large old cork board that I already had and cut it into pieces to fit into the four insets of the doors.
Covering the cork with fabric
To create my fabric insets I laid a cork piece on my fabric and simply cut around it, leaving about 1 1/2″ to fold over and staple.
To attach my fabric to the cork board I stapled it, starting at the top center.
Then the bottom center, and then the centers of the sides, pulling slightly so my fabric was taut, but not too tight.
Then I just made my way around all four sides, pulling gently as I went and stapling.
At each corner, I cut away any excess fabric and folded it over as neatly as I could and stapled it into place.
I used contact cement to attach the panels, and I placed some heavy books and other items on top until the glue set.
Here are the doors after the glue has set.
Putting the computer armoire together
Because this small room is 9 1/2′ tall, I really wanted to use its height. With the help of my hubby John, the computer armoire was placed on top of two old Ikea bookcases that I already had.
This is why I needed to turn the wardrobe upside down, so I could use the flat surface for the bottom. Before putting the unit in place I drilled a hole into the back for all the computer cords.
The small bookcase doors still open just fine, so I’ll be keeping seasonal craft items in them that I don’t need to access all the time.
Adding my things into the computer armoire
Here it is with all my stuff in it, and everything worked.
Before I put everything in, I painted the braces that I added pink, so they would almost disappear.
The height inside the the computer armoire was too high for my keyboard. I needed to add something to the top of the bookcases so I could move my keyboard and mouse down when using them.
Creating a shelf for my computer keyboard
I had an MDF sign that was the perfect size (can’t show it to you because it may be copyright infringement).
I’m all about using what I have and it already had a black edge. I turned it upside down and just nailed it to the top of the bookcases. The hammer hit the sides of the armoire, so I had a few touch ups to do after these pics were taken.
I had some non-slip viny shelf liner that I bought at the dollar store for $2. It was the perfect width, so I just added that on top.
DIY Computer armoire from an old wardrobe
Here’s my finished computer armoire with my fabric-covered bulletin board insets.
It holds all my bills, office supplies, and some craft items that I don’t use very often.
It’s nice that I can close the doors and hide this stuff away.
Here it is with the doors closed with my chalkboard painted insets.
I’m leaving the gap because it allows me to keep my keyboard and mouse out if I want to. I can still close the doors to keep the cats out.
I decoupaged the side of the computer armoire with some poetry magazine pages just to give it a fun look. It just goies to show that you can really use anything to pretty things up.
So, here are the befores and afters.
So here’s the outside before again.
And the chalkboard after.
the inside before.
And the inside after.
I’m so glad I was able to reuse this old wardrobe. It’s been given a whole newbeautiful life, and a purposeful one too.
So the next time you’re looking for something specific for your home, take a look at what you already have.
You just might be surprised by what you find.
Please share on Pinterest!
Thanks so much for reading and until next time,